Connecting to MySQL from the CLI.
To connect to MySQL from the command line, follow these steps:
- Log into your Server using SSH.
- At the command line, type the following command, replacing USERNAME with your username:
- mysql -u USERNAME -p
- At the Enter Password prompt, type your password. When you type the correct password, the mysql> prompt appears.
- To display a list of databases, type the following command at the mysql> prompt:
- show databases;
- To access a specific database, type the following command at the mysql> prompt, replacing DBNAME with the database that you want to access:
- use DBNAME;
- After you access a database, you can run SQL queries, list tables, and so on. Additionally:
- To view a list of MySQL commands, type help at the mysql> prompt.
- To exit the mysql program, type \q at the mysql> prompt.